SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleplume

Please Help! Palette & Style Conundrum-Modern Tropical Glam vs Coastal

purpleplume
15 days ago
last modified: 15 days ago

Bold cool colors energize me. Now that we’ve found our forever home, resale considerations no longer factor into our design decisions. Someone here on Houzz forums descibed this photo of our LR space as Modern Tropical Glam. That resonates with me. I love spending time in this space:

Now we’re renovating the kitchen that’s adjacent to the LR (above) and DR (not shown). These spaces all share the same warm tone Saturnia marble flooring, which must stay because it runs throughout two levels of the residence.

Here’s the kitchen design firm’s initial rendering of the U-shaped layout with Ben Moore Chantilly Lace (white) slab cabinetry on all 3 sides of the kitchen and Ben Moore Elmira White shown on the island cabinetry. Our interior designer selected Elmira White to relate to the existing flooring. Counter surfaces are in Diamond Blue Polished Calcite (IRL it’s not so gray). The warm tone flooring is emphasized by 3” square bronze metal accent tiles inserted around the island.

Warm tones make me feel sad and this rendering feels blah to me.

I want to feel happy in my kitchen!

My interior designer then proposed a few light cool blues instead for the island cabinetry color. Of those, my husband and I chose SW Blissful Blue, shown on the left side of this image beside a better representation of the stone material, which is a blue gray with a bit of green (ignore the reflection of the old pendant light).

She is trying to achieve some color flow between the LR/DR and the kitchen and the rest of the residence. All the walls on this level are painted Chantilly Lace. Our artwork is quite contemporary.

I‘m not comfortable with the Blissful Blue on the island cabinets. It looks Coastal to me and our style is more contemporary and not as casual as Coastal.

Should I go back to Elmira White, which reads as tan to my eyes?

Please help me! This cabinet order needed to go in yesterday and I am just not comfortable with either option so far.

Your comments and ideas are welcome! I‘m hoping someone here can save me from this Design Dilemma.😥🤔🧐

Comments (155)