SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

End of chapter, parents house is sold.

dedtired
14 days ago

As I've mentioned here often, the last year and a half of my life has been consumed with settling my mother’s estate. Thought I would follow up with this post, which will be too long.

The sale and cleanout of her house were quite an experience. The house had to be on the market by the end of May. I figured I had time to clean it out, list it and sell it.

But no! I contacted a local realtor to begin the process, expecting to have a couple months or more before it hit the market. The realtor was delightful and a huge help. One day she called to ask if she could show the house to her clients before we had formally agreed to list it. I said sure.

Well, don’t you know they absolutely loved it. After one or two back-and-forths, I got my full asking price, selling the house as-is. It needs a ton of work but is basically a sound house.

So now I had three months to clear out 63 years of accumulation. I had already started on some of it, but that was barely a dent.

First a trash removal company came and made a first pass. This was after we (family) took what we wanted. Next came an estate cleanout company which worked with a local estate sale company to get rid of anything deemed unsellable.

The estate sale people took over a week to tag and arrange everything for sale. Their prices were much too high and I’m sure more would have sold at more reasonable prices. Fortunately they sold most of the large pieces. I left the baby grand piano for the buyers

Then the cleanout company came back and took the remainder to an auction house, donated a lot and made another trip to the dump. They worked so fast, a couple things went that weren’t supposed to. One they brought back and the rest didn’t matter.

I also took several trips to the dump, the shredding company and the thrift shop.

Closing went well. I am so happy with the new owners, a “non traditional” married couple (two guys) with two young sons. I met them and they are a lovely family and so excited to have the house, and plan many needed renovations.

It’s strange to think of different family in there. My parents designed and built the house. I’m sure my rather conservative father would be rolling in his grave if he knew a gay couple bought it. Ha! They are terrific.

I still have estate stuff to wrap up. It’s been a long journey, that’s for sure. Thought I’d be sad, but I’m not.

Anyway, end of story, I hope. Pictures in comments.

Comments (70)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting