SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500825108

Anyone grow Tradescant?

bart bart
2 years ago

This rose was growing in a poor spot, totally neglected; I've had it for years, and it never got a fair shake. Seeing that ,in spite of this abuse, it contined to live and bloom, I dug it up; as often happens in my garden, it had morphed into two potential plants: one the original grafted plant, with own roots as well, and then another cane of the same plant that had rooted on it's own. So I seperated them and have them both in pots.

This is a good rose indeed, IMO. First of all, it's ability to survive in such poor circumstances is noteworthy. But then there's the colour: the deep, deep purple/black/red that seems to resist burning and fading very well. I can't say about re-bloom or even floriferousness, since my plant has been so mis-treated,but the other two virtues are compelling enough.

However, I am perplexed as to how big this rose can eventually become. The info on HMF is so confusing: according to them, it can be anywhere from 75 to 245 cms tall. For Ebb tide the estimate on that site is almost equally confusing ,but this rose is so widely available and Barni sells it, and these sources all give the idea that the plant is likely to remain on the smaller side,so I'm using that to guide me in placing mine. But Tradescant is not so easy to find, so I wanted to ask here if any of you grow it and ,if so, could you share with me your own observations as to it's habit and eventual size. Thanks in advance.

Comments (26)